Re: Changing Emacs indentation behavior

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: Changing Emacs indentation behavior
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 04:13:01 +0200

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Nonni wrote:
>[...]
> If I write the if-statement my way, the indentation of the braces are wrong,
> emacs produces:
>
> if (version < FMOD_VERSION)
>     {
>         return 0;
>     }
>
> Is there any way to get emacs to auto-indent my code the way I want it to ?
>
> Thanks.

Yes. It's all about the cc-mode style. You can find CC-Mode in Info and look
for styles.

This is how I configured it:

;; Style I want to use in C/C++ mode
(c-add-style
 "mi-estilo"
 '("stroustrup"       ; style to inherit from. There are many others
   (indent-tabs-mode . nil) ; use spaces rather than tabs
   (c-basic-offset . 4)     ; indent by four spaces
   (tab-width . 4)          ; if the file specifies tabs, make them 4 chars wide
   (c-tab-always-indent . 1) ; tabs when in literals & comments, indent
otherwise
   (c-offsets-alist . ; custom indentation rules
                      ((inline-open . 0)
                       (brace-list-open . 0)
                       (statement-case-open . +)))))

(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook
          (lambda () (c-set-style "mi-estilo")))

I'm sure that 'c-offsets-alist' defines the indentation rules, but I don't
remember if I really need that, after having inherited the style form
"stroustrup" style. If you care, check the Info.

Best regards,
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr