Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font

From: Doctor Who
Subject: Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:58:02 -0400

On 7/19/08, Wolfgang Zweimueller <wzwei@gmx.at> wrote:
> "Doctor Who" <whodoctor@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to get emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 as the
>> font.  When I try to invoke emacs like this:
>>
>> emacs --font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8"
>>
>> I get the error:
>>
>> Font `Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8' is not defined
>
> I had the same problem (with another font). My solution was to put
> this line into ~/.Xresources:
>
>      Emacs.font: dejavu sans mono
>
> Then do a "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources" or restart your X11. Now Emacs
> should start with that font.
>
> hth,
> Wolfgang

Thanks for the reply...unfortunately that did not work for me.  Not
sure if the problem is specific to my OS (openSUSE 11.0 in this case)
as to where it is looking for those settings.  The font in the menu
bar looks great, but the font in the editor screen does not respect
what is put in ~/.Xresources.