Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font

From: Doctor Who
Subject: Re: Getting emacs23 to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-8 font
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:04:26 -0400

On 7/20/08, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> "Doctor Who" <whodoctor@gmail.com> writes:

>>> One way to do it:
>>> ,----~/.Xdefaults

>>> Emacs.pane.menubar.font:
>>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
>>> |
>>> Emacs*menu*fontSet:
>>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
>>>             -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
>>> `----
>>>
>>> $ xrdb ~/.Xdefaults
>>>
>>> and open Emacs anew.
>>>
>>> Use xfontsel to find the name of the font that you want (where I have
>>> terminus above).
>>>
>>> Another way is to customize the default face and put in the name of the
>>> font under "Family."
>>>
>>> Joel
>>

>> Thanks.  A couple of questions:
>>
>> 1)  If I use the example .Xdefaults like you listed above, are the
>> pipe symbols (|} included at the beginning of several lines to be
>> included as well?
>>
>> 2)  Apparently I'm not familiar with the xfonsel command enough to get
>> the desired output I want.  I'm trying to use Bitstream Vera Sans-8 as
>> the default font for the emacs editor window.  Running 'xfontsel
>> -pattern Bitstream' does not give any results (that I can see).
>>

> The correct command is xfontsel. Start it up and select Bitstream from
> the family and then work forward. However.....
>
> I'm not sure xfontsel is still a good way to select fonts now we have
> support for freetype, xft etc. At one time, xfontsel was unable to deal
> with things like true type fonts and antialiased fonts etc.
>
> Try using the fc-* family of font manipulation commands, such as
> fc-match and fc-list. See the man pages.
>
> Tim

Thanks.  So I found the default font I want to use as the default in
the emacs editor window using fc-list:

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Roman

Now, how do I go about having emacs-23 use this font in the editor
window?  Do I use ~/.Xresources or ~/Xdefaults.  What is the correct
syntax for the file to use?

Thanks!