Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Phil Carmody
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:50:29 +0300

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:46, Phil Carmody
> <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> These terms are irrelevant to the users of a software application.
>>
>> Blatant assertion I disagree with completely.
>
> In which way the use of terms like "keybinding" or "buffer" is
> relevant to the *users* of a software application?

I, as a user of the software application called "emacs"
must be familiar with that functions are bound to what
keys in order to use that software application.

For buffers, see below.

I'd have thought the above response would have been so bloody
obvious that I'm amazed you even bothered asking the question.
The only way I can see you not expecting such a response is
if you are of the opinion that I am not a user of emacs, or
that you think emacs is not a software application. Either of
which is equally bizarre.

>>> As a user of a text editor, he works with files.
>>
>> Blatant assertion I disagree with completely. As a user of a text
>> editor, I work with text. And I want it neatly buffered for me.
>> I may occasionally load some of the text from a file, and I may
>> occasionally save some of the text to a file, but the majority
>> of the buffers that I use never undergo either.
>
> It is true that the user of a text editor works with text. It is also
> true, I think, that most text is saved to a file, though nowadays I
> suppose there's also a fair amount that is cut&paste'd into another
> application, a web form, etc.

An absolute assertion is false as soon as one counter-example
is found. An absolute assertion was made. I provided a counter-
example. The assertion is therefore false. End of.

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration