Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:03:50 +0200

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
Of course the term shortcuts is something reminiscent of GUI programs.
In a text editor menu entries like `compile' might have a shortcut, but
calling C-b a shortcut seems weird.

Maybe, but having manual entries in the index for "Shortcut" and "Key Sequence" would perhaps help a little bit.

I don't think there even has to be a name for it ...  Help says: "It is
bound to C-b, <left>.", which sounds reasonable.  So what problems could
a new user have?

My imagination and experience says me that they could have trouble searching for things because of the terminology ;-)

Maybe custom should support keymaps, and M-x customize-keys could solve
that problem...

That would be great yes.