Re: getting emacs to use GUI mode

From: Joost Diepenmaat
Subject: Re: getting emacs to use GUI mode
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:54:45 +0200

Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 21, 6:40 pm, Joost Diepenmaat <jo...@zeekat.nl> wrote:
>> Can you start other X programs using the same terminal? If so, you may
>> have installed the emacs22-nox package instead of the emacs22-gtk
>> package. emacs22-nox is the version without X support.
>
> I am able to start any x program (like iceweasel) from that psuedo-
> terminal. Is there some way to determine if I have the nox version?

Since you're on debian, try:

dpkg-query -s emacs22-nox

and

dpkg-query -s emacs22-gtk

The Status: output line of those commands should contain "installed"
for the package that's currently installed (only one of them may be
installed at the same time).

Alternatively, you can try to install emacs22-gtk, which will replace
the emacs22-nox package if that's currently installed:

apt-get update
apt-get install emacs22-gtk

J.