Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 02:33:41 +0200

Xah wrote:
On Jul 25, 9:41 am, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:55:29 -0700 (PDT)Xah<xah...@gmail.com> wrote:

X> But you can run it by typing Alt+x shell-command (shortcut Alt+x !)

Please note that Alt is not the preferred prefix name for Emacs
purposes.  It's Meta, abbreviated M (e.g. M-x), for two reasons:

1) Meta can be mapped to keys other than Alt

2) Meta can be invoked with ESC as well, which is very handy in a
terminal session (I actually use ESC all the time even in a graphical
session)

Ted

Thanks for the info, i think it's good to know.

Here're some reason i think emacs should adopt the Alt+‹key› or
Alt-‹key› notation throughout its documentation.

Why should the documentation call Meta for Alt when it is not Alt? In for example the patched version of Emacs+EmacsW32 it is possible to use left and/or right windows keys as Meta. I guess a lot of people do that.

The advantage is that you can use the menus the same way as you are used to in other w32 programs.

I think it is much better to clearly tell new users the distinction. They will need to know it at least on w32 from the beginning, cause otherwise they will get confused by that the menus does not work (if they use Alt as Meta).