A problem with read-only in emacs

From: D. Power
Subject: A problem with read-only in emacs
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:45:41 -0600

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this little problem.  It seems that I
(or the keyboard-walking kitten) have somehow changed the settings in
emacs (21.2.1) so that new files are created as read-only, so I have to
chmod any new file before I can edit it.  What have I (or the kitten)
done, and how can I undo it?

--
D. Power
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his