Re: Change backup system

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Change backup system
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:20:21 -0600

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:

    My idea is to copy the file to another folder. When I
    edit and save ~/ text/file.txt the backup is saved in
    ~/.emacs.d/backup/home/florian/ text/file.txt.n with n
    being a number incremted form 1 to x each save.

I have a directory called ~/bu and this in my .emacs
(thought I am not sure which versions of Emacs it works
with):

(setq version-control t)              ; Numbered backups.
(setq backup-directory-alist          ; Backup directory
      `(("." .
         ,(expand-file-name "~/bu"))))

I don't know if this is exactly what you mean....  I
occasionally clean out old stuff from my ~/bu directory.

The files are named like this:

  !home!thorne!hacking!litmus!mla.tmac.~3~

with bang-path kinda names and the number at the end a
version number.

Here is some documentation about those variables:

,----[ C-h v version-control RET ]
| version-control is a variable defined in
`/home/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/files.elc'.

`----

,----[ C-h v backup-directory-alist RET ]