Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:57:46 -0500

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:02:09 -0700 (PDT) Xah Lee <xah@xahlee.org> wrote:

XL> On Jul 28, 6:39 am, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> You have to consider the *cost* of breaking something like the Meta
>> convention, not just the benefit.

XL> emacs's manual is about maybe 4 hour's work by a few interactive find-
XL> replace operations in emacs, helped with eye balling.

XL> There is basically no cost to users. Any new user will immediately
XL> understand “Alt+‹key›” and perhaps feel this is a great improvement.
XL> Old emacs users might get a mental shock for the first hour when their
XL> hear about this change in emacs 23's change log, that's about it. Same
XL> for “C-” vs “Ctrl+” notation.

OK, since you're not even remotely connected to reality, I'll drop this
topic.

>> But feel free to suggest it through the proper channels as others
>> have mentioned.

XL> Thanks. If you find this point about notation in manual has some
XL> merit, please help me set records straight.  You can mention it to
XL> your emacs buddies, or link to my article in your blog, etc.

You don't understand.  I am against this change (for reasons I listed),
but I encourage you to submit it through the proper channels if you want
to have any chance of making it happen.  Otherwise you're wasting
everyone's time.

I don't have a blog.  I don't have "emacs buddies."  I don't have time
to debate this since you don't appear to have any interest in reality.

XL> Perhaps we can blame Ted, he started to correct me or point out about
XL> my use of the notation of “Alt+‹key›”.
XL> Note his use of the word “preferred”, and he gave reasons.  I don't
XL> agree that it is not preferred, and i don't agree about the reasons he
XL> gave.

I go by what's in the Emacs manual.  You go by your opinion.  Which do
you think is more useful to a user?

Ted