Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Xah
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:55:23 -0700 (PDT)

Xah Lee wrote:
«I don't think its a good idea to teach or insist that people adopt
emacs's terminologies.»

Some people say that if you want to use emacs, you have to use emacs's
terminologies.

Yes that is true.

However, some terms are interchangable between emacs and other apps,
and some emacs terminology still can use some change to adopt the
changing world.

For example, if you are learning calculus, and you got confused by the
terminology of abscissa and ordinate. I say to you, that's just old
terms for x-axis and y-axis. However, there are still math professors,
who insist on the name abscissa and ordinate. The term x-axis and y-
axis, to them, is dumb'd down, not-general, technically incorrect.

This thread is over 100 now. In the coming days, i'll reply and give
reasons on why i think emacs are better to adapt new terms for buffer
and keybinding in its user manual.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/