Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:05:50 +0200

Michael Ekstrand <michael@elehack.net> wrote:

> It is not a tab.  If you have "tabs" going in Emacs (which XEmacs seems
> to support in some fashion), or are in some other editor with tabs, they
> are equivalent Emacs' "windows", not buffers.  You could view the same
> buffer in multiple tabs.  What then?

I don't think you're right here.  Looking at Firefox, for instance, tabs
there don't correspond to Emacs windows at all.  Each Firefox window has
a tab-bar that switch between several tabs, just as each Emacs window
can switch between several buffers.

If each tab-bar has the same set of tabs there would be no problem in
viewing the same tab (= buffer) in multiple windows.

Of course, Emacs doesn't have tab-bars.  So I agree, buffers aren't tabs.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher