New C-h/Delete issue on emacs22.2.1-nox (Xquartz 2.3.0)

From: matthew . a . hess
Subject: New C-h/Delete issue on emacs22.2.1-nox (Xquartz 2.3.0)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:32:13 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running mac 10.5.4 and using emacs in an xterm window (not gtk
graphical).  I've seen threads where the reverse of this behavior
(well some of it anyway) has been remedied before, but i haven't seen
any posts that talk about this:

- Pressing C-h deletes backwards instead of help.  Running the
describe-key command says that it's DEL (backward-delete-char-
untabify).

- However, pressing the "Delete" key on my keyboard does backward-
delete as well...

- Pressing M-DEL (<- "Delete" on my keyboard) marks a paragraph.
Describe-key says that this combination is  C-M-h, the mark-defun
command.  For me, M-DEL used to be the 'backward-kill-word ' command
until i upgraded Xquartz.

I want to get my old key-bindings back:
Delete -> backwards-delete
M-Delete -> backwards-kill-word
C-h -> help

What's also really strange is that when i'm in xterm the M-DEL
actually does delete words backwards.

I'm at a loss to explain this...