Re: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format mail in gnus

From: Xah
Subject: Re: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format mail in gnus
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 7, 11:07 am, Evans Winner <tho...@timbral.net> wrote:
> Xah <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     well, HTML is technically superior simply because it can
>     do a lot more things.
>
> I am not sure this reasoning follows very well.  Certainly
> the ability to do many things is nice, but they have to be
> the right things.  One functionality that HTML lacks is the
> ability to be a simple, portable plain ascii message, which
> sounds like I am being circular, but really, for most
> people, that is the single most important feature of email.

the ability to send and display html email in a email app does not
exclude the ability to send plain text. You can still set your email
program to receive only plaintext, or even at the email server level.

Tech and society matches on. Many unix apps, use line based plain text
as config file. Some tech geekers insists that's still superior than
XML. These tools, largely just fell out of use. XML for example, is
becoming the standard for config files replacing line-based plain
text. For example, Apple's OSX has adopted XML for this throughout
since maybe 2003.

It's one thing to argue about some ideal technical superiority, it's
another to consider what's really happening out there for a product to
survive. Emacs is not a commercial app, so there's not much survival
pressure. It simply got dwindling users, more and more esoteric
“elite” tech geekers.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/