Re: LISP routines for commenting

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: LISP routines for commenting
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:29:24 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

>>> But isn't there a bug somewhere if M-; does not do the right thing?
>>
>> Well, if emacs is meant to use python with python.el and it is working
>> fine with it, it is not a bug, but if M-; don't work properly with
>> python.el, yes, it is a bug!
>

> Don't you think that all major modes should support M-;? There are
> easy ways to do that. The doc strings says
>
> (comment-dwim arg)
>
> Call the comment command you want (Do What I Mean).
> If the region is active and `transient-mark-mode' is on, call
>   `comment-region' (unless it only consists of comments, in which
>   case it calls `uncomment-region').
> Else, if the current line is empty, call `comment-insert-comment-function'
> if it is defined, otherwise insert a comment and indent it.
> Else if a prefix arg is specified, call `comment-kill'.
> Else, call `comment-indent'.
> You can configure `comment-style' to change the way regions are commented.

Yes, i think that is enabled and working (indenting a comment block).
That is not working always correctly is indenting code after a block of
comment if this comment is commented with M-;. May be it's only because
M-; comment with only one # with no space in front.
Sure it can be corrected, i never ask myself about that as i use C-c #
in python.
--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France