Re: Changing Japanese input to SCIM

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: Changing Japanese input to SCIM
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:30:03 +1000

Ben Bullock <benkasminbullock@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using Emacs 22.1.1 on Ubuntu.

As a side note, I've found the Unicode support incrementally improved
in Emacs 22.2 (in particular, it gets less confused about the display
width of characters encoded with multiple bytes).

> I want to input Japanese characters.
>
> How can I change Emacs to use the SCIM input method which is
> supplied with Ubuntu rather than Emacs's built-in method?

I use Emacs (and many other programs) in a text-mode terminal
emulator. This makes it much easier to use the same instances of
programs from many different locations over secure connections.

Hence, "use SCIM for input" is something I only need to teach the
terminal emulator to do, and then I can use SCIM for input into any
Unicode-aware text-mode application without it needing to be also
aware of SCIM.

That may be a way for you to proceed.

--
 \      “Contentment is a pearl of great price, and whosoever procures |
  `\        it at the expense of ten thousand desires makes a wise and |