Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X

From: Chris Patterson
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs23 on OS X
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:22:47 -0600

Mark Hood <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>> Am 07.08.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:
>> > as i was searching i saw a post from carbon emacs mailing list that
>> > said mac port is removed. Is this true or did i just hit a bug in the cvs
>> > version?
>>
>> Recently no Carbon Emacs variant can be built from Emacs 23 code. For
>> Mac OS X you can, besides an X11 client, built a Cocoa or Aqua
>> variant: --with-ns (--disable-ns-self-contained).
>
> I use Carbon Emacs 22 on Mac OSX but I'm not familiar with Cocoa.  Can
> you explain what this means for Emacs 23?
>
> I tried using the Aqua variant but couldn't get the hang of it -- too
> much of standard Emacs key bindings and interface have migrated into
> the firmware of my brain.  Does the Cocoa variant use the standard
> lean Emacs interface?  Or does this mean I'll be on 22 for the rest of
> my Mac days (unless I run an X11 server)?
>
> Thanks -- Mark

I had the same concerns, but once I relocated the meta key back to the command
key (where carbon emacs has it) via the preferences pane I have found that
emacs.app is quite usable.

You won't find that there is much of a learning curve, either, as opposed to
aquamacs. Emacs.app is far closer to Carbon Emacs than Aquamacs (at least from
the user's perspective).