show-paren-mode / blink-matching-paren

From: Dan Davison
Subject: show-paren-mode / blink-matching-paren
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:38:15 +0100

q1. I'd like show-paren-mode to wait show-paren-delay seconds, then
show the matching paren, but only do so for some specified amount of
time, before going away. However, I don't see a variable specifying
how long to show the paren for. What I'm after is the following:
whenever I'm curious about what the matching paren is of some closing
paren, I can move point to after the closing paren, and it will show
me, for a second or so. Currently it's seeming to me that I can
achieve this with neither show-paren-mode nor blink-matching-paren
(which only blinks on insertion, rather than point being next to
paren). Any solutions?

q2. A basic question: In my .emacs I'd like to turn on
e.g. show-paren-mode in e.g. emacs-lisp mode only. How do I do that?
Adding (show-paren-mode t) to my personal emacs-lisp mode hook turns
it on in all buffers, right?

Thanks,

Dan