Re: Behavior of M-x and A-x

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Behavior of M-x and A-x
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 03:03:02 +0200

B. T. Raven wrote:
Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Xah wrote:
; setting the PC keyboard's various keys to Super or Hyper
(setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-apps-to-system nil
      w32-lwindow-modifier 'super ;; Left Windows key
      w32-rwindow-modifier 'super ;; Right Windows key
      w32-apps-modifier 'hyper) ;; Menu key

Please note that using lwindow/rwindow like this does not work for all key sequences unless you are using the patched Emacs+EmacsW32.

Could you give me an example of this, Lennart. I use Keytweak (and rearranged keycaps for Dvorak and a bilaterally symmetrical modifier key layout [bottom row: super alt ctl spacebar ctl alt super hyper] and I haven't run into any problems with it yet. I am not using EmacsW32 although I have had it installed in the past. The only things that get through from the OS when I'm in Emacs are Alt-Tab and Ctl-Alt-Delete.

I do not remember very well any longer since I use the patched version where this can not happen (if you tell Emacs to protect you from it). However it could happen with any of those lwindow/rwindow combinations that MS Window uses. I know I first noticed it with lwindow-e.

Though it might depend on other things too. The only thing I know is that it is not guaranteed to work at all if you are not using the patches I have in Emacs+EmacsW32. (I mean accordning to the specs from MS.)

If you want to know more then look at MS for LowLevelKeyboardProc.

That is why I have those patches. And by the way those part of the patches does not change Emacs way of workin in any other way. They work on a lower level that the rest of Emacs does not see.

If I remember correctly now there is however no guaranteed way at all to stop Alt-Tab and Ctl-Alt-Delete from working.