Re: Can't set debug-on-error to nil

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Can't set debug-on-error to nil
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:35:04 +1000

Yevgeniy Makarov <emakarov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> In my Emacs sessions, the variable debug-on-error is always t, so
> every error pops a buffer with "Debugger entered--Lisp error", etc. I
> found the following:
>
> * M-x describe-variable debug-on-error says that its value is nil, but
> M-: debug-on-error prints t
>
> * This happens even if I start Emacs with -Q option
>
> * I tried putting (setq debug-on-error nil) in the beginning and in
> the end of .emacs, as well as customizing the variable to nil (there
> is an entry '(debug-on-error nil) in custom-set-variables), but it did
> not help.
>
> * There is nothing about debug in my .Xdefaults
>
> So where is it set to t, and how can I set it to nil?
>
> I have GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 of 2008-01-25 on Linux.
>
> Thank you,
> Evgeny

It has to be something local. However, I note that your version is VERY
old given we are talking about CVS versions and from memory, there was a
fair amount of instability in the CVS version early in the year.

My advice would be to grab an updated CVS snapshot and re-build. the
problem may be due to a bug that has long since been fixed (though I
don't remember anything like that and I tend to update at least
weekly). When using CVS versions, you really want to stay fairly close
to the head.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au