Re: google search result differ in Opera and w3m

From: Xah
Subject: Re: google search result differ in Opera and w3m
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:16:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 17, 5:52 am, Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bo...@post.rwth-
aachen.de> wrote:

>    Xah> The results from using Opera, Safari, Firefox, in google search seems
>    Xah> to differ from results shown in w3m.
>
>    Xah> To test, try this url in Firefox and w3m/emacs:
>
>    Xah> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The%20
          computer%20wizards%20at%20Industrial%20
          Light%20and%20Magic%20help%20alchemize%22

>    Xah> Firefox shows many results, top one is this time mag article:
>    Xah> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,981238-1,00.html
>
>    Xah> but in w3m it just shows one vocabulary page on my website that quoted
>    Xah> this phrase.
>
>    Xah> Anyone reproduce? I'm suspecting this is w3m bug or the w3m-mode bug?
>
> You can reproduce the two different results if you call your browser with or
> without the quotes `"' surrounding your query expression, which are translated
> to `%22' at the beginning and end of the string sent to the browser.
>
> So I think you call emacs/w3m with and firefox without them.

This is kinda odd. The double straight quote needs to be part of the
search.

In OSX 10.4.11, in Safari, Opera, Firefox (all latest public version),
they all return mulitple results with the following line on top:

«Information No results found for "The computer wizards at Industrial
Light and Magic help alchemize".

Results for The computer wizards at Industrial Light and Magic help
alchemize (without quotes):»

in w3m and icab, they give just 1 result.

So, perhaps somehow when google search automatically switch to a non-
exact-phrase search when the exact-phrase search got only one result?
But this couldn't be because some FF in linux apparantly return just 1
result from exact phrase search too.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/