Resp.: trying out icicles

From: glauber M4
Subject: Resp.: trying out icicles
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:15:08 -0300

>> on trying icicles persistent sets i can only access then with
>> a C-x b which is bound to icicle-buffer (that is after i have
>> defined and saved a named set (project)), is this right,
>> i thought i could access then by the means of C-x C-f but it
>> doesnt seem to work.
>
> I'm not sure I understand you.

You understood yes.

> [...]
> how:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Persistent_Completions. (If a
> "saved set" is not saved persistently, it is saved in a variable.)
>
> You can retrieve any saved set (persistent or not) during completion for any
> type of object (see the first URL for how). It makes sense to retrieve a set
> only in a context where you can complete to names of objects of the type in
> the
> set. For example, you could retrieve a set of command names when doing
> buffer-name completion, but that wouldn't make much sense. In that context, it
> makes sense to retrieve a set of buffer names. (You can have as many saved
> sets
> as you like.)
>
> Emacs file-name completion is special. The completion candidates are relative
> the current `default-directory'; they are not absolute file names. If you
> save a
> set of these, it will look like this: ("foo.el" "bar.txt" "titi.el"). If you
> retrieve such a candidate set when you are completing (e.g. with `C-x C-f'),
> then you had better be in a directory that has such files, or else you will be
> opening new files there with those names.
>
> Icicles has two commands that do file-name completion differently from this.
> They use absolute file names, so you can complete against any parts of the
> full
> name (path). These commands are `icicle-locate-file' and `icicle-recent-file'
> (plus `*-other-window' versions). If you save a set of completion candidates
> when you use these commands, you save absolute file names. And the files whose
> names you save need not be in the same directory. Example set:
> ("/projects/alpha/foo.el" "/projects/beta/foo.el"
> "/usr/local/whatever/titi.c").
> This is what you want to do to create project file sets for different
> purposes.
>
> If you save a set of buffer names when you use `icicle-buffer', the result is
> list of buffer-name strings, e.g. ("foo.el" "*Compile-Log*" "*grep*"). You can
> retrieve this during file-name completion (e.g. `C-x C-f'), as you mentioned,
> but unless you somehow have a buffer name that is an absolute file name, you
> will have the same problem as for a set saved during `C-x C-f' (see above).
>
> If you do have a saved set of absolute file names, you can retrieve it during
> `C-x C-f'. That will work, even though `C-x C-f' uses relative names itself as
> completion candidates. That is, even if the current `default-directory' is
> unrelated to the directories in the saved absolute file names, the correct
> files
> will be opened: an absolute file name means the `default-directory' is
> ignored.
> (This is standard behavior for `C-x C-f'.)
>
> If what I describe above is not what you see, and you think what you're seeing
> is a bug, then please file a bug report: `M-x icicle-send-bug-report'.
      I guess it is a bug, if i have a saved set and do a C-x C-f, C-{,
RET(to select the last set saved), I can even see the set of files that
was stored and if i click on them using the mouse before typing anything
they are going to open, but as soon as i type anything they disappear,
even if i type something like * to match everything no go, while they
keep and stay on the C-x b, but you are right it is kind of pointless
doing it cause the better you will get is a buffer named
/abal/alfjlk/anmlakjs/blakjsdf assuming that was the name of the
filepath+file, not the real file, anyway it is a great feature, I'm
going to send this bug report, I'm using latest icicles with latest
emacs.Except for this issue everything else you described is working
like you said.

cheers,

glauber.