Re: "push" creating circular objects

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: "push" creating circular objects
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:49:24 -0500

On 21 Aug 2008, John Paul Wallington wrote:

> I'm not certain what's going on.  Are you sure that representation
> means circular structure?  Or is it merely labelling the object "ul"
> for future reference then referring to it?  (See (elisp)Circular
> Objects.)

I am likely confused.  Is this not the same thing?

Oh.  I guess it isn't.  This is one of the insights I needed, I think.

> Also, how about consing up the strings with (string ?u ?l) or somesuch
> to avoid 'em being treated as the same?

I'll give that a try... yeah, that fixed it.  I'm surprised I have to do
this, though.  Why are they being treated as the same?

Knowing this, I replaced (string ?u ?l) with (copy-sequence "ul") and so
forth, and got the same result.

Thanks very much for this.  But I'm surprised I have to do it.
--
Charles Sebold                                      21st of August, 2008