Re: Keeping the point at the same position in multiple buffers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Keeping the point at the same position in multiple buffers
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:57:46 +0200

> When editing several files in Emacs, each in its own buffer, each buffer
> has its own point location. I have Emacs displaying two buffers, each in
> it's own window. I was wondering if there's an easy way to make it so
> that each of these buffers will keep the point at the same place in both
> buffers (or at least on the same line) even though this is not the
> default behavior.

You can try to add the untested snippet below to your .emacs.

martin

(defun synchronize-windows ()
  (save-selected-window
    (condition-case nil
        (let ((pos (window-point))
              (sel (selected-window))
              (buf (window-buffer (selected-window))))
          (dolist (frame (frame-list))
            (dolist (window (window-list frame))
              (when (and (eq (window-buffer window) buf)
                         (not (eq window sel))
                         (/= (window-point window) pos))
                (set-window-point window pos)))))
      (error nil))))

(add-hook 'post-command-hook 'synchronize-windows t)