Re: Portable emacs devices

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Portable emacs devices
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:30:10 +0200

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> Have a look at the Open Moko phone <http://www.openmoko.com/> and
> <http://www.openmoko.org/>.  It's about the size of an iPphone, but is a
> handheld computer running Linux.  It has a phone (of course), GPS &
> mapping (might be handy for biking around), touch screen, USB (albeit
> v.1.1), and some other things.  A lot of the functionality is still in
> development though.  But if you just want to run emacs on it, that
> shouldn't be a major deal.

It's no problem at all. In this very second the installation process
of Debian is running on my new OpenMoko which was in my postbox
yesterday. I've already tried Debian on the device yesterday but I
have to reinstall it since I bought an 8GB MicroSD today to have more
space available. Debian is running fine, all packages of the
distribution are available
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner>. You can run xfce and, of
course, Emacs. Emacs is starting up quite slowly, but then it works
smoothly. The keyboard is part of the display and, therefore, quite
small; you have to handle it with a pen. But it's wonderful to be able
to hack in some notes everywhere you go, especially if you are an
addict of org-mode like me. But I wouldn't write a PhD thesis on the
OpenMoko.

Greetings

Sven