Re: "title" frame param: Want "string %f %b" with string different for s

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: "title" frame param: Want "string %f %b" with string different for some frames
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:00:14 +0200

Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> At Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:23:03 +0200 Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:
>
>> (set (make-variable-buffer-local 'frame-title-format) '("sam: %b <%f>"))

I made a mistake there.  It should of course by `make-local-variable'.

> buffer-local isn't really good enough.  I do want to use the frame for
> several files/buffers.

Yes, I thought as much.  It might work if these buffers are dedicated or
never displayed in two frames at once, but still requires hackery.

> make-variable-frame-local is listed as obsolete in emacs 22.2 and
> beyond, which are the ones I use (22.2 and 23.0.60).

I found a lengthy discussion in emacs-devel, which started with a bug
and apparently concluded with the realization that nobody needs
frame-local variables.  Sorry.  I think there is no other way to achieve
what you want.

> I have been able to set the frame parameter "title", but that doesn't
> give the ability to use %b %f.  My attempts at using
> make-variable-frame-local and/or modify-frame-parameters have not
> yet yielded the equivalent of my desired

I had no success with `make-variable-frame-local', either, though it should
theoretically work.

`modify-frame-parameters' won't work, because there is no
frame-parameter for this.  I find the documentation a little fuzzy on this.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher