Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 00:05:30 +0200

formido <formido@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello there,
>
> Emacs takes like 10 seconds to load. It's a lot faster if I don't load
> all my packages. What strategies could I use to get my load time down?
> Emacs itself is made up of tons of elisp files and it doesn't take
> forever to load, so I don't see why I should be forced to endure long
> load times just because I add third party packages. If I do, 'require
> package', I'm at the mercy of the package maker's initialization
> process, right?

Ah, also even it emacs took one hour to load, it woudn't matter much,
because you should leave your emacs process running.  On this machine,
emacs uptime is close to the system uptime.

Keep emacs running, and use emacsclient.  So the boot time is amortized.

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay