Re: Hot to prevent emacs from generating ".#xxxx" files?

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Hot to prevent emacs from generating ".#xxxx" files?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:21:54 +0200

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:01:55 +0800 s. ticket wrote:

>>> Because when emacs exits abnormally, it may leave a lot of ".#xxx" files.
>>> It may break some compiling as some compile tools just search all ".c" files
>>> in the directory and complain "can't open .#xxx.c" ;
>>
>> That's exactly why you want them.  After a crash you can M-x
>> recover-this-file and get you changes back.
> Yes. But it's better if I can put them in a special directory like
> backup files and auto-save files.

If such a file is present you have a far more serious problem, namely
potential data loss.  After you solved that (M-x recover-this-file) the
auto-save file will disappear automatically and the minor problem is
solved as well.

If you insist you can have a look how the tramp package works around
this.  AFAIK it doesn't use the remote directory for auto-save files, or
at least it can be configured to not do so.

David