Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:39:00 +0200

formido <formido@gmail.com> wrote:

> Emacs takes like 10 seconds to load. It's a lot faster if I don't load
> all my packages. What strategies could I use to get my load time down?
> Emacs itself is made up of tons of elisp files and it doesn't take
> forever to load, so I don't see why I should be forced to endure long
> load times just because I add third party packages. If I do, 'require
> package', I'm at the mercy of the package maker's initialization
> process, right?

Hi,

I use late binding, I load the package when I start using it. For
example for ido mode:

(defun ivan-ido-file ()
  "Find file, late bind ido."
  (interactive)
  (ivan-ido-late-bind)
  (ido-find-file))

(defun ivan-ido-late-bind ()
  (unless ido-mode
    (require 'uniquify)
    (ido-mode 'both)))

I then bind C-x C-f to ivan-ido-file, it will load ido the first time
I need it. This makes my emacs faster to start.

The full code for ido is here
https://kanis.fr/svn/trunk/wk/lisp/emacs.d/ivan-ido.el

I use it for bbdb and gnus as well, it's on the same path.
--
Ivan
http://kanis.fr

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former.
    -- Albert Einstein