Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time

From: rustom
Subject: Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 06:06:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 2, 11:04 pm, Ken Goldman <kg...@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
> formido wrote:
> > What strategies could I use to get my load time down?
>
> My standard answer is to avoid starting emacs - run it as a server and
> connect clients to it.  When you start it every few months, you won't
> care too much about the startup time.
>
> See gnuclient or emacsclient.

For this to be quite successful one needs ---
1. emacs running as a server -- easily done with (server-start)
2. emacs to be quietly background-able, ie disappear without being
visible on the desktop.  This is not possible because delete-frame
refuses to delete the last frame. In my view delete-frame should
quietly delete the frame if server is running. if not and its the last
frame it should chain to save-buffers-kill-emacs.
3. emacs to be understood as a service by the OS.  This means it must
be compiled and follow the expected convention of service (for
windows) or daemon (for unices).

3 would give maximum convenience but at least 2 is necessary for easy
'service-able' usage (in my humble opinion)