very basic help for writing a new mode

From: what.a.guy
Subject: very basic help for writing a new mode
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:01:37 -0700 (PDT)

I have data files which are sexp's of the form:

(version-string
 ("tax name 1" various fields follow)
 ("tax name 2" ...)
 )

I'd like to have a mode which derives from scheme-mode, but with the "tax
name" strings as entries in a buffer index (imenu or ecb). Here's my
attempt:

(defvar tax-imenu-generic-expression
   '((nil "^\\s-+(\"\\(w+\\)\"" 1)))

(define-derived-mode tax-mode scheme-mode
   "major mode for handling tax files"
   (make-local-variable 'imenu-generic-expression)
   (make-local-variable 'imenu-case-fold-search)
   (setq imenu-generic-expression tax-imenu-generic-expression
   imenu-case-fold-search nil))

(provide 'tax-mode)

This does the right thing with font-locking, but I can't get it to list the
tax names as a buffer index (seems like semantic is still using the
scheme-imenu-generic-expression). I'm very new to elisp, so I'm struggling
even in figuring out how to debug this. Any suggestions?

Wayne