Re: M-x term strange behaviour.

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: M-x term strange behaviour.
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:09:18 +0200

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:43:14AM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:
Hello,

I'm using "M-x term"  to get a shell inside emacs.

But it seems to not working as expected: for example when starting less(1),
inspecting a file (I know I could have used emacs for that) and exiting, the
terminal window is not restored as it was before starting less(1). Instead the
content of the file visited by less(1) still appears.

Of course this behaviour does not occur when using less(1) inside an xterm.

Can anybody give me some advices here ?

Should I use a different terminal (M-x terminal-emulator...) ?

You can get the behaviour you want with less in the eshell, but as a
the eshell differs from expected behaviour [1]

I still don't know when one would choose terminal-emulator, would someone
be able to provide an example when terminal-emulator would be required
for a task that term could not do?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/66hxbp