Re: On Edit GNU Emacs 22.2.1 Eats My Blank Characters At The End Of Line

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: On Edit GNU Emacs 22.2.1 Eats My Blank Characters At The End Of Lines
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:18:48 -0500

On 11 Sep 2008, ChristopherL wrote:

> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
> of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE

Same as I had before I upgraded to 22.3 (and I wasn't seeing anything
then like what you describe either).  It's the official one from GNU, I
believe.  Nothing weird that could be traced back to the EmacsW32 CVS
build, then.

> There are site-lisp folder,s but when I do a Windows search nothing in
> them contains trailing*whitespace.

So it isn't likely that it's that particular function giving you this
problem, although there are ways to find out.  We'll save that for now.

> I get nil also.

OK, it's not before-save-hook then.

Wow, this is weird.

OK, next thing is to see if you have the same behavior with -Q.

>From a command prompt, let's try running

C:\path\to\your\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe -Q

...and then tell us if you get exactly the same results as before.

This will run Emacs with absolutely no add-ons or customizations
whatsoever.  You and I should be able to do the same thing and get the
same results then.

I just tested this with my own copy of Emacs 22.2, and my file edits
retain whitespace and blank lines at the end of files.  If yours
doesn't, then maybe you ought to get a new copy of Emacs (22.3 came out
last week) and try that.
--
Charles Sebold                                     11th of September, 2008