Trying to disable the fontification of strings in fundamental-mode

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Trying to disable the fontification of strings in fundamental-mode
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:30:55 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to turn off the fonfication of strings in
fundamental
mode.  The following code appears to turn it off in *all* modes,
not
just fundamental mode.  What do I need to do to restrict
the
suppressing of the fontification of strings to just fundamental
mode?

(defadvice fundamental-mode (before my-remove-strings
activate)
  (if (eq major-mode 'fundamental-
mode)
      (setq font-lock-string-face
nil)))

(defadvice fundamental-mode (after my-remove-strings