Re: defmacro is worse than my neighbours cat

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: defmacro is worse than my neighbours cat
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:10:49 +0000

'Morning, Lennart!

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:13:10PM +0200, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> defmacro is worse than my neighbour's cat.

Miaow!!!

> When I think I everything is fine and I calm down they bite.

> I have a defmacro where I define a function and I want to build the doc
> string for this function in a certain way. This works fine - until I
> byte compile it. Can someone please try to explain to me how I can do
> what I want?

> Below is the defmacro. Look for "fix-me".

> (defmacro define-mumamo-multi-major-mode (fun-sym spec-doc chunks)
>   "Define a function that turn on support for multiple major modes."
>   (let* ((mumamo-describe-chunks (make-symbol "mumamo-describe-chunks"))

OK, here's a problem.  You have _two_ symbols called
"mumamo-describe-chunks" here.  One (uninterned) is the value of the
other.  Why do this?  Why not just declare the symbol directly inside the
let* form and use it?

You really don't need to use make-symbol at all, unless you deliberately
want it uninterned, or you're making up the name as you go along.  You
can simply write

   (let* mumamo-describe-chunks

>          (turn-on-fun (if (symbolp fun-sym)

>                           (symbol-value
>                            (intern
>                             (symbol-name (quote fun-sym))))

This bit seems crazy.

    (symbol-name (quote fun-sym))

is easier to read as

    (symbol-name 'fun-sym)

which is "fun-sym".  You then "intern" it (i.e. get the (existing)
'fun-sym) and then take the value of 'fun-sym with `symbol-value'.

You don't need this.  You know that (the value of) fun-sym is a symbol,
so these three lines are entirely equivalent to

                            fun-sym

.  ;-)

>                         (error "Parameter FUN-SYM must be a symbol")))
>          (turn-on-fun-alias (intern
>                              (concat "mumamo-alias-"
>                                      (symbol-name
>                                       (symbol-value
>                                        (intern
>                                         (symbol-name (quote fun-sym))))))))

Here you've got one sensible use of intern, and one silly one.  This
should just say:

          (turn-on-fun-alias (intern (concat "mumamo-alias-" fun-sym)))

.  At least I think it should - it's a bit early at the moment.  ;-)

I've got to get to bed, so I can't look at the rest right now.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).