Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:32:02 +0200

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Dan Espen
> <daneNO@more.mk.spamtelcordia.com> wrote:
>> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> [ please CC me when replying to me ]

>>> But what would you suggest as replacement for:
>>>
>>> $ make && gdb || mail -s "Compilation failed" home
>>
>> First, the make is always run as M-x compile.
>>
>> In my case, the most likely outcome from M-x compile is
>> that I'll be correcting syntax errors.  Since I've run
>> M-x compile, M-x next-error becomes really useful.
>>
>> So, no make from the command line for me.
>>
>> I'm got a big fan of running under gdb.
>> If I did want to run under gdb a lot, I'd probably figure out
>> Emacs gdb.
>>
>> Typically my make target is not just a compile but a compile
>> and test and check results.  No need to send myself
>> an email since the M-x compile clearly shows whether the
>> compile/test worked.
>>

> That was just a (silly) example where scripting can be powerful and
> can't be replace by some M-x <cmd> or whatever...

Did you try using a window manager that work correctly with emacs+shell
like stumpwm or rat-poison.
I am using stumpwm and i am really happy with it.
I can switch to a shell at anytime just like in emacs.

Have also a look at eev:(you may like that if you are a fan of shell)

http://angg.twu.net/eev-article.html

and try to eval from anywhere in emacs (C-x C-e) for example:

(find-sh "ps -u $USER | grep emacs | awk '{print $1}'")

Try also to use M-x ansi-term that is much better than term.
You can run many shell in emacs and more.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France