Re: unicode encoding and curly quotes [was: How to open a file in sh-mo

From: Xah
Subject: Re: unicode encoding and curly quotes [was: How to open a file in sh-mode]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:09:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 14, 3:35 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> In article
> <44043b4c-ffad-437e-a8d4-5b049fc4d...@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Xah  <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >David Combs wrote:
> >> Xah-- question about the characters in your posts:
>
> >> If I or someone sees eg a url in one of your posts, and
> >> wants to go to that url (because you've suggested doing that,
> >> maybe), it's a little difficult to just cut-n-paste your string,
> >> what with all the extra control or whatever they are characters
> >> mixed in.
>
> >> What is that stuff, why is it there, and is it really necessary
> >> for you to include it.
>
> >The summation sign “∑” in my sig is my and my website signet.
>
> >in the end of my sig, there's this character “☄” (unicode name
> >“comet”). It is there so that it forces groups.google.com and Apple

> Well, whatever.   Way over my head.

is that a joke? its hard to tell on newsgroup.

> Anyway, *if* you really want *me* to go look at
> some suggested url, then please do it TWO ways:
>
> . Your current scheme, which I cannot use.
> . Plain ascii, 100% ready to be cut-n-pasted into a web-browser,
>     with no edits needed.

yes i'm also a bit confused. When having a url in my post, maybe a
year ago i used to quote them in a few messages but i quickly stopped
that because newsgroup or email apps will parse wrongly as to include
the quoting char as part of the link.

So, these days i have spaces around any url. I don't think i even
quote them with unicode chars, but possibly with parens. like this:
( http://example.com/ )

perhaps you mean something like the following are hard to copy/paste??

• http://example.com/

... unless there's something in your message i really missed out...
please take a look at unicode. It's really here to stay for good. It's
in MS Windows NT and decendents from the ground up (i.e. since mid
1990s), it's the base encoding in XML standard and various other
protocols and langs (e.g. java), supported by elisp as far as my
experience goes better than any other lang in practical sense, and
required by law for any comp in china and Chinese sites are some major
percentage of the world's web traffic... also if u look at Wikipedia,
which is world's top 5 web traffic for 2 or more years, it uses
unicode chars liberally ...

see also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB_18030
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

some quote:

«GB18030 can be considered a Unicode Transformation Format (i.e. an
encoding of all Unicode code points) that maintains compatibility with
a legacy character set. Like UTF-8, GB18030 is a superset of ASCII and
can represent the whole range of Unicode code points; »

«After English (30% of Web visitors) the most requested languages on
the World Wide Web are Chinese (17%), Spanish (9%), Japanese (7%),
French (5%) and German (5%).[8]

By continent, 38% of the world's Internet users are based in Asia, 27%
in Europe, 18% in North America, 10% in Latin America and the
Caribbean, and 7% in Australia.[6]»

 Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/