Re: Annoying message "Text is read only"

From: Xah
Subject: Re: Annoying message "Text is read only"
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

Davin Pearson asked:
Q: how to stop cursor moving over to prompt in minibuffer

Daniel Pittman wrote:
A:
   M-x customize-variable <RET> minibuffer-prompt-properties <RET>
   Enable the "Don't Enter" option and save your changes

Thanks a lot!

When i switched to emacs in about 2006 from 4 years of xemacs, i was
quite annoyed by this behavior. I remember i posted this question, i
got some silly responses from emacs regulars in comp.emacs, who says
that something to the effect that “sometimes you need to copy the
prompt”.

in my opinion, this is one of the usability problem, so obvious yet
some of the tech geekers dont seem to be able to see it.

i'm going to file a bug report now.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/