Re: Newer version filename completion requires only tab, not space or ta

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Newer version filename completion requires only tab, not space or tab
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:41:43 -0600

Daina Pettit wrote:
I'm using GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu) of 2008-05-03 on terranova,
modified by Ubuntu and previous versions used to accept a space or tab for
filename completion, but now require a tab only.

How do I get back to the old behavior so I can use my spacebar again for
filename completion?  I'm sure there's some setting to tweak.

`C-h C-n' aka `M-x view-emacs-news' reveals:

* Incompatible Editing Changes in Emacs 22.1
** When Emacs prompts for file names, SPC no longer completes the file name.
This is so filenames with embedded spaces could be input without the
need to quote the space with a C-q.  The underlying changes in the
keymaps that are active in the minibuffer are described below under
"New keymaps for typing file names".

If you want the old behavior back, add these two key bindings to your
~/.emacs init file:

  (define-key minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map
              " " 'minibuffer-complete-word)
  (define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-filename-map
              " " 'minibuffer-complete-word)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA