Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 04:34:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 1:53 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org>
> > Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
>
> >    * Emacs does not provide a user level function to create a new
> > buffer. It has “Open New file...”, which actually creates a empty file
> > and immediately prompt user for a file name. This is annoying.
>
> This is incorrect.  No file is created on disk until you actually save
> the buffer.  Until then, only a buffer is created.

Ok, my original phrasing is a bit off. Please focus on the main ideas.

Here's a better phrasing:

• Emacs does not provide a user level function to create a new buffer.
It has “Open file...” (a wrapper to the find-file command), which
immediately prompt user for a full file path. This is annoying. Modern
apps's New File command actually just create a new untitled file
without prompting, and only when user save it it prompt a file name.
If user closes it, it prompts for saving.

In newsgroup discussion, people tend to nick pick details and often
give no acknowledgement even if they agree in general. So, if a
criticism or idea X is posted in the thread's original post, often
there will be several responses that nick pick details that are non-
critical to the main idea. So, often, the thread becomes large and
derailed and little critical discussion.

> > I propose that emacs should also add a menu command “New buffer”, with
> > the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl+n”. Once called, it should create a
> > scratch buffer titled “untitled”. If one already exists, append
> > numbers such “untitled 2”.
>
> If I ever want a Notepad, I'd just launch that.  I don't need Emacs to
> emulate it.

The issue here is not about whether one Eli Zaretskii wants Microsoft
Notepad (assuming it is Microsoft Notepad you are talking about).
Perhaps you are using the term “Notepad” as a general concept. In that
case, emacs's *scratch* buffer is also a notepad. So, i don't know
what u mean except perhaps you are just fooling around.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/