Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:06:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 5:48 pm, Cor Gest <c...@clsnet.nl> wrote:
> Some entity, AKAXahLee<x...@xahlee.org>,
> wrote this mindboggling stuff:
> (selectively-snipped-or-not-p)
>
> > The issue is not about fucking.
>
> > Please focuse on the issue if u are interested in discussing it.
>
> Right!
>
> NOBODY is interested in discussion(for discussions sake),
>  unless it is accompanied by working code.

Actually, people are interested in discussion, and in fact that's what
newsgroup is for.

Also, you seems to suggest that people should not criticize software
such criticism is not valuable, unless it is companied by code patches
that fixes it.

That is not true. In fact, successful software companies, from Open
Source ones such as GNU to commercial corps such as Apple and
Microsoft, highly value user feedback and criticism, and very actively
change their software due to criticisms.

Possibly you do not understand the meaning of criticism, or the
meaning of “constructive” criticism. I suggest the following articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism

http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/criticism.html

plain text version follows
--------------------
Criticism versus Constructive Criticism

Xah Lee, 2003-01

A lot intelligent people are rather confused about criticism,
especially in our “free-speech” free-for-all internet age. When they
say “constructive criticisms are welcome” they mostly mean “bitching
and complaints not welcome”. Rarely do people actually mean that
“criticism without suggestion of possible solutions are not welcome”
or “impolite criticism not welcome”.

Such discernment is important. Wanton bitching as internet-using geeks
are used to is not criticism is any form.

People can be respected and make a living out of criticisms, called
critics, but not bitching. And when one really value opinions, you
often want criticism without qualifications. Just be happy that
valuable criticisms may come to you free from the experts in the
public. The instant you qualify what kind of feedback are welcome,
your feedback is compromised. (this is particularly so for political
or controversial subjects)

One easy way for many of the unix geekers to see this is the
cryptology industry.

If a person really desires valuable criticisms that are polite or with
solutions or “constructive” (whatever that means), one usually has to
pay.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/