have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"

From: David Combs
Subject: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
Date: 20 Sep 2008 13:01:44 -0400

Installed cygwin on my wife's pc.  Told it to grab, among
other things, emacs.

I run emacs, hit C-x d (dired), and shows me only
(I forget now) /home/....   With three files, (bash profile,
and two .xxxxrc files, and NO directories).

Seems that that's my "universe".

So as to go "up" in the dir-tree, I hit the "^", but
does nothing.

Question:  How do I get access to the (entire) computer?

(Problem: I know **NOTHING** about M$ and xt (is what she has) --
 the reason I want to use her pc is that I want to upload
 .mp3 files to my Sansa "clip" mp3Player/radio/etc, and it
requires it be hooked (usb) to a pc windows.  It will NOT
work on my sunblade100 (sparc), solaris9 -- I tried -- I can
charge the battery, yeah, but that's it, apparently.)

I was hoping I could, after downloading .mp3 files from the
net via firefox, then move them around, and stuff them into
my "clip" via dired.

So, how can I get dired to break out of its Elba (or is it
Helena?) quarantine?

    (Able were I ere I saw elba?)

Thanks!

David

PS: glancing through the cygwin user-guide, I saw a bunch
of stuff about having to use the mount command for something.

(Yes, I'll end up studying it), but quickly, maybe,
what's that all about?  Is *that* how I'll get access
to the *entire* of the C-disk, or something?)

Thanks again for any hints or suggestions.