RE: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:10:06 -0700

> I don't know what's better in your situation, but for years
> now I've made Cygwin an integral part of how I use Windows,
> but have always used the native Windows Emacs (NTEmacs).
> The original reason for doing so was that Cygwin Emacs had
> problems running in a command Window (without running
> Cygwin X), and I had no other reasons for running the Cygwin
> X server. Also (at least at the time), the Cygwin version of Emacs
> lagged behind the current version of NTEmacs.  Using the
> cygwin-mount package with NTEmacs gave the best of both worlds.
> Nowadays, I'm running the Cygwin X server for other reasons,
> and the situation may have changed, but I think it's
> still an advantage to use the native version, if for no other
> reason than if a problem occurs, one can ask on this newgroup
> directly, rather than figuring out whether the question is more
> appropiate for the Cygwin mailing list.

FWIW, I second that - I too use Cygwin with native Windows Emacs. I use these
two libraries. They are sufficient for me (in GNU Emacs 20, 21, 22, 23).

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el

(when (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
           (require 'cygwin-mount nil t))