Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:53:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 22, 5:16 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah Lee wrote:
> > Hi Erik Fragga,
>
> > On the subject of RSI, perhaps you should use Dvorak, and you'd be
> > interested in my article here:
>
> > How To Avoid The Emacs Pinky Problem
> > http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_pinky.html
>
> Xah, it is good that you try to help people with this, but why don't you
>  mention sticky keys:
>
>  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers

Gosh, in every thread that relates to keybinding, you post about
sticky keys, as if insisting that it is the ultimate solution. Kinda
getting annoying! =(^o^)=

(and i was shocked that in a discussion with you about a month or 2
ago here, despite all your enthus about emacs keybinding as done in
your EmacsW32, you have no familiarity on how keyboard shorcuts on the
Mac is like)

i'm not sure what to say about sticky keys as a UI with respect to
ergonomics and efficiency ... Here's some quick notes:

• i like them fine. I've used Windows NT daily, 8 hours a day, from
about 1998 to 2005.

• sticky key, or pressing several keystrokes in sequence as opposed to
pressing multiple keys together, is good alternative i think, possibly
even better, as a UI in terms of ergonomics and efficiency of typing
shortcuts ... though, i have not really studied key sequence
alternative in detail. When i used windows, i do press Alt then some
other key often and love it.

... alright, i'm adding the sticky suggestion here:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_pinky.html

Thanks for the suggestion.

(should show up later today... my web server having some problem i
think)

> On the bottom of that page is also a link to Alex Schröder's comment
> about physical fitness and RSI. I very much agree with Alex conclusion.

One major thing is that he adopted the Kinesis keyboard.

The Kinesis keyboard fixed several keyboard design problems. I came to
know about Kinesis in maybe 1993 and touched in it stores (Fry's
Electronics). I think it is excellent.

i have photo and commentary here:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboards.html

see also:
Keyboard Hardware Design Flaws
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_problems.html

afaik, kinesis hold the patent on the keyboard design. I think that's
why u dont see for example microsoft introduce mod keys at thumb
position or non-jagged arrangement of the keys of their ego keyboards
and new designs.

i think i might patent my ergonomic shortcut layout for text editing
too. At least, others can't patent it cause i did it and published it.

one thing i think is a obvious design flaw in Kinesis is that the
functions keys are a row of rubbish buttons instead of keys, and that
they are uniformally laid out in a row as opposed to 4 groups of keys.
The button style hinder user them, and the uniform row hinders touch
typing them.

i've been toying with the idea of actually buying the $250 or $300
keyboard now and then ever since i saw it in early 1990s.. but just
never did. I'm now quite happy with Microsoft's ergonomic split
keyboards.

i'm already using dvorak (since ~1993), and already using a rather
radical keybinding set in emacs... i'm sure getting myself Kinesiss
will officially qualify me as isnane and put me in more odds with the
common people or even the tech geekers.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/