Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:50:28 +0200

Xah Lee wrote:
> On Sep 22, 5:16 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
>> Xah, it is good that you try to help people with this, but why don't you
>>  mention sticky keys:
>>
>>  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers
>
> Gosh, in every thread that relates to keybinding, you post about
> sticky keys, as if insisting that it is the ultimate solution. Kinda
> getting annoying! =(^o^)=
>
> (and i was shocked that in a discussion with you about a month or 2
> ago here, despite all your enthus about emacs keybinding as done in
> your EmacsW32, you have no familiarity on how keyboard shorcuts on the
> Mac is like)

Maybe I should wear a warning flag for all my ignorances then ... ;-)

> ... alright, i'm adding the sticky suggestion here:
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_pinky.html
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks, that was what I wanted.

> (should show up later today... my web server having some problem i
> think)
>
>> On the bottom of that page is also a link to Alex Schröder's comment
>> about physical fitness and RSI. I very much agree with Alex conclusion.
>
> One major thing is that he adopted the Kinesis keyboard.

This is what Alex has written there:

  RepeatedStrainInjury – saw a doctor, started physiotherapy on
  2002-02-05. I bought a Kinesis keyboard. I used little programs that
  forced me to take a lot of breaks. It didn’t help.

Note that the Kinesis keyboard and the other things did not help (or
perhaps was not enough) for Alex! He continues

  I stopped therapy
  2002-10-21 and decided to work less, get up more often, started
  practicing Aikido, and no longer work in long shifts. That helped.

More psyical exercise, less sitting computer work -- that was what Alex
believed helped.

And that is what I think is the right way to avoid problems.

We are simply not made for computers (and I wonder if computers are
really made for us ...).