Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:57:08 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.19670.1222060252.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> I don't know what's better in your situation, but for years
>> now I've made Cygwin an integral part of how I use Windows,
>> but have always used the native Windows Emacs (NTEmacs).
>> The original reason for doing so was that Cygwin Emacs had
>> problems running in a command Window (without running
>> Cygwin X), and I had no other reasons for running the Cygwin
>> X server. Also (at least at the time), the Cygwin version of Emacs
>> lagged behind the current version of NTEmacs.  Using the
>> cygwin-mount package with NTEmacs gave the best of both worlds.
>> Nowadays, I'm running the Cygwin X server for other reasons,
>> and the situation may have changed, but I think it's
>> still an advantage to use the native version, if for no other
>> reason than if a problem occurs, one can ask on this newgroup
>> directly, rather than figuring out whether the question is more
>> appropiate for the Cygwin mailing list.
>
>FWIW, I second that - I too use Cygwin with native Windows Emacs. I use these
>two libraries. They are sufficient for me (in GNU Emacs 20, 21, 22, 23).
>
>http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el
>
>http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el
>
>(when (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
>           (require 'cygwin-mount nil t))
>  (require 'setup-cygwin))

Thank you!

When my wife gets back in 10 days, I'll ask her for
"permission" to get NTemacs.

I guess you can get FULL-SCREEN emacs display too?  (I hope!)

Question: so that when-code lives in your standard .emacs?

Thanks much!

David

PS: does anyone besides me use the SAME mp3-device as mine,
     the sansa CLIP (4gb, ie newer than the 2gb, maybe
     newer software on it.)?