Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:27:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 23, 8:47 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah Lee wrote:
> > On Sep 22, 7:50 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> >> This is what Alex has written there:
>
> >>   RepeatedStrainInjury – saw a doctor, started physiotherapy on
> >>   2002-02-05. I bought a Kinesis keyboard. I used little programs that
> >>   forced me to take a lot of breaks. It didn’t help.
>
> >> Note that the Kinesis keyboard and the other things did not help (or
> >> perhaps was not enough) for Alex! He continues
>
> >>   I stopped therapy
> >>   2002-10-21 and decided to work less, get up more often, started
> >>   practicing Aikido, and no longer work in long shifts. That helped.
>
> >> More psyical exercise, less sitting computer work -- that was what Alex
> >> believed helped.
>
> >> And that is what I think is the right way to avoid problems.
>
> > of course, the best way to stop Repeated Strain Injury is to stop or
> > lessen the activity that caused it. This applies to typing, tennis
> > elbow, guitar fingers, piano wrist, for examples.
>
> Xah, aren't you totally missing the main point? I think the main point
> is doing more physical activities.

Don't think i'm missing the point. Alex's “solution” to his RSI
problem, in his very brief description of 2 paragraphs, in whole:

«RepeatedStrainInjury – saw a doctor, started physiotherapy on
2002-02-05. I bought a Kinesis keyboard. I used little programs that
forced me to take a lot of breaks. It didn’t help.

I stopped therapy 2002-10-21 and decided to work less, get up more
often, started practicing Aikido, and no longer work in long shifts.
That helped.»

and you summarized: And that is what I think is the right way to avoid
problems.

So, if we have to choose one single element between:

(1) get away from computer keyboard more.
(2) do general exercise.

It is (1) that is essential to his “solution”.

What we are doing now is about analysis and reasoning. In the
discussion between us in this subthread, at first i picked out part of
his solution about using the Kinesis keyboard. You corrected me by
saying that it's more about his second paragraph. I agree. Then i
elaborated about getting away from keyboard, and you said “aren't you
totally missing the main point? I think the main point is doing more
physical activities.”. Which, isn't a correct analysis as explained
above.

> There is actually nothing that says that only stopping the activity
> itself helps.

So, for someone with RSI symptom, we can suppose 2 solution:

(1) Stop or lessen the amount of time spent on typing.
(2) Do some amout of typing, but when not typing, do more general
exercise such as akido.

Which one is actually more likely to help? And if we are forced to
choose one, it is undeniable that (1) is the answer.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/