Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:22:14 +0300

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:32:24 -0700, ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) wrote:
> I don't use the scratch buffer all that much, but I like to know that
> it's there. I copy snippets of text to it, and I sometimes use it to
> create odd little literary vignettes that I may not wish to save. It's
> useful.

+1

I very often use the *scratch* buffer as, uhm, a "scratch pad" when I
chat online with friends using ERC.  It is very useful as a temporary
scratch pad when I am preparing something to paste.  I get the full
editing capabilities of Emacs: I can untabify, indent, wrap and do
anything else that is `normal' for the target channel or query buffer;
it is easy to pull text off other windows or the kill ring; and when I'm
done preparing the text I can copy it with M-w and paste it to the final
target buffer in its well-formatted finished form.

Then the *scratch* buffer can go away.  I don't need it anymore and it
gets buried in the buffer list, until I need it again.