Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 24, 1:31 am, Eric S Fraga <ucec...@eeepc.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk>
wrote:
> On 2008-09-24, Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
>
> >> More important in this context is the fact that his knowledge of his
> >> specific RSI problems and their solutions is much higher than yours.
>
> > I didn't consider him sincere, knowledgable, or respectful. Remember
>
> Thanks a lot.  I initially responded sincerely and, I thought,
> respectfully.  You subsequently responded, ignoring everything I had
> said and I simply pointed this out to you.
>
> > So, all things considered, i considered him, based on his couple of
> > messages, that he's like some highschool boy trying do a pissing
> > fight. I embraced it, as you can see.
>
> Thanks.  I feel a lot younger now!  (you could, of course, do a simple
> web search and you'll see that I am not that young, unfortunately ;-)
>
> >> He also mentioned that his most
> >> substantial problem is with the mouse, *not* the keyboard, a point which
> >> you entirely ignored.
>
> > See above. But also, please note that the discussion was about a
> > criticism on emacs *scratch*. Sure, sometimes the topic digress.
>
> No, at that point, you brought up people wanting to use text modes
> instead of graphical interfaces.  I replied that I use text interfaces
> because of RSI problems with the mouse.  You then said that I should
> use more a more _modern_ key binding set for Emacs.  I responded to
> say that this would exacerbate my RSI.  You didn't like this.  Tough.

Dear Doctor Eric Silly,

Your first entrace to this thread, is this, i quote in whole:

«the reasons still stand and they are not ridiculous.
give me (screen|ratpoison)+emacs and I have the perfect working
environment. and often the underlying OS doesn't even matter.

'nuff said.

^xb gives what you wanted in any case. »

This snippet, in its writing style and diction, its content, its
beliefs, is typical of a juvenile tech geeker. You can find it in
numbers daily at slashdot.org .

In one sentence, in macho style, it seems to sneer at the million of
dollars of successful commercial corps (such as Microsoft, Google,
Apple) put into user interface studies and the software they produce.

It even says, like a kindergardner bragging, that “and often the
underlying OS doesn't even matter.”!!!

Then, there's tech geeking juvenile slang: “'nuff said.”. Like: “you
are stupid, 'nuff said!”.

Then it ends in a sentence to suggest to me about switch-to-buffer,
using a obfuscated notation “^xb”, apparantly aware or ignoring the
fact that i criticized this particular method in my article.

So, if this Doctor Erick is not a tech geeking moron, who is?

Maybe we could shake hands now... but if there are still issues and
questions, even to the matter of whether which of us has superior
knowledge about keyboarding and ergonomics, i'd be happy to answer.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/