Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 24, 2:28 am, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> XahLee<x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
> > Just because you have installed Firefox plugin that
> > modifies default behavior, or just because you are one of those
> > perhaps less than 0.01% in human animal society who actually uses a
> > text-based browser, it does not mean Ctrl+n behaves your modified way
> > in general
>
> You should add the 6-8% of Mac users to that list of exceptions, where
> Ctrl+n does behave that way in general.

Hum? I don't know what you are saying.

After a while coming back to your message, i think i got it. You mean,
basically, the Cmd key's function on the mac is roughly equivalent to
Windows's Ctrl. So, Ctrl+n doesn't actually crate a new something, it
is actually Cmd+n. Ctrl+n on the mac in fact does nothing in most
browsers.

Is that what you are saying? It's quite silly you know?

In case you seriously thought that point is worth mentioning, let me
answer about that then.

Of the common standaard keyboard shortcut keys for Open (n), Close
(w), Save (s), Save As (S), Print (p), Select All (a), Copy (c), Cut
(x), Paste (v), Undo (z), on Windows and Linux it's used together with
modifier Ctrl. On Mac, it's the Command key. These command and letter
pairs are a standard in practice, ever since Microsoft Windows
borrowed much of Mac GUI since mid 1990s, and more so post 2000, and
ever since Linux becomes somewhat popular as a desktop and KDE/Gnome
borrowed wholesale of Windows UI.

To say that these commands and keys on the Mac is actually different
than on Windows/Linux, is inappropriate in our context. As a analogy,
emacs on Windows, Mac, Linuxes, uses different modifier for Meta and
have slightly different look, but it is not sufficient to say that
emacs in one particular OS is emacs while others are not. Similarly,
in our context, when i say Ctrl+n is a standard or familiar with most
software users, you can't argue that Mac is a exception just because
it uses Cmd instead of Ctrl.

Btw, for those who wants to understand the differece of Mac and PC
keyboards, and their difference in usage since about 1995 to today,
see:

Difference Between Apple and PC keyboards
http://xahlee.org/emacs/apple_pc_kb_diff.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/